VELUX Solar Tax Credit for Skylights and Shades
The Emergency Stabilization Act and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provide a 26% tax credit on both the purchase and installation of qualifying products in renewable technologies such as solar electric property, residential solar water heating, qualified small wind energy and qualified geothermal heat pump energy, among others.
Under these laws, VELUX Solar Powered Skylights as well as VELUX Solar Powered Room-Darkening Blinds and Light-Filtering Blinds qualify under "Solar Electric Property" expenditures when purchased and installed between January 1, 2009, and December 31, 2021.
|Save 26% federal tax credit
|Save 22% federal tax credit
How the Savings Work
The tax credit is available on solar skylights AND accessories, even if the solar accessory is purchased with a non-solar skylight.
- The average tax credit for a replacement solar skylight & installation ranges from $330 to $480. These savings will fully offset the cost of a solar blind.
- The average tax credit for a factory installed solar blind & installation ranges from $540 to $720. These savings can fully offset the cost of some fixed skylights or partially offset the cost of pricier skylights
- Note: Solar blinds can be purchased with VELUX FS, FCM, VS, VSS, VCS, VCE and VCM models.
What do I need to do?
When the product is installed: Keep your receipts for total price paid (product and installation) for one of the qualifying VELUX products and attach them to a completed 26% Federal Tax Credit - Manufacturers Certification Statement and keep for your records.
- IRS Notice 2009-41 suggests the taxpayer is not required to attach this certification statement to their tax return. However, the taxpayer should retain this certification as part of their tax records.
- As in all tax matters, the taxpayer is advised to consult their tax professional. Skylights For Less assumes no liability regarding the homeowner’s ability to obtain tax credits.